Location: South San Francisco
Nkarta Therapeutics is a privately held biotechnology company focused on the discovery and development of engineered natural killer (“NK”) cells for treating blood cancers and solid tumors. We have an industry-leading platform to harness the power of NK cells to create off-the-shelf therapies. We expect to have multiple programs in proof-of-concept clinical trials in 2020. Our investors include NEA, Novo and SR One.
We are seeking a highly motivated Vice President of Finance to create, lead and build our internal Finance department in a fast-growing environment. The position is responsible for financial reporting, FP&A, accounts payable, payroll, treasury, tax, and internal controls. This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
The successful candidate will be a seasoned financial executive who has a detailed understanding of how a company’s resources can (and should) be used to achieve its strategic goals. This individual will excel at reporting financial information in a clear and concise way, and is adept at financial modeling. Public-company experience will be relevant as Nkarta grows. Finally, a passion for science and medicine, combined with industry experience, will allow the VP Finance to thrive in our fast-paced, diverse and cross-functional work environment.
While we are a relatively small company today (~26 employees, nearly all R&D), we are planning for substantial growth, and the VP Finance will be a key player in setting up Nkarta for future success. The ideal candidate will initially be able to dig in on a “hands-on” basis and transition to more of a leadership role in the near term, as the Finance function is built out in parallel with Nkarta’s growth.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The primary responsibilities include:
- Ensure that the monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements are completed on a timely basis and in accordance with GAAP, including review of monthly journal entries, accruals and account reconciliations
- Manage financial information systems design, implementation, enhancement, monitoring and controls
- Develop, implement and ensure compliance with accounting policies and procedures
- Manage annual financial audit
- Maintain internal controls for key processes
- FP&A including internal BvA reporting, budgets, forecasts and special projects
- Oversee financial operations including A/P, billing and A/R
- Oversee banking operations, payroll, stock administration, tax reporting and insurance
- Support financing activities, including any possible S-1 filing
- Business support including review of significant company contracts
- Provide coaching and mentorship to help employees learn and grow in a changing environment
- Other duties as mutually agreed upon to make this position a career building experience
- BA/BS degree
- CPA license desirable
- 15+ years of experience; biotechnology-type industry experience strongly preferred
- Experience with a Big Four certified public accounting firm is highly preferred
- Thorough knowledge of SEC rules and regulations, procedures and practices; ability to lead all public company finance obligations, including reporting and SOX 404(b)
- Excellent knowledge of ERP systems
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills; ability to interface and communicate effectively with executive management and other functions within the organization
- Strong team leadership, management, and organizational skills
- Attention to detail with ability to move easily between hands-on work and strategic thinking
- Ability to use critical thinking and good business sense to make sound business decisions
- Proven experience on building team and resolving conflicts in a collaborative manner
Nkarta offers a creative, team-oriented scientific environment, along with a strong compensation package that includes salary, stock options, and a comprehensive benefits package.
To apply: Please email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org